Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Discussion Question #7: Inspiring

The Voter's Journal at the back of Declaration of Interdependence provides this prompt: Write a list of the most inspiring or sensible ideas you've heard from presidential candidates (official or unofficial) in this election.

Here we are, two months from the election date, and I'm very sad to say that I can't think of a single inspiring idea that I've heard from the mouths of Romney or Obama. But the Democratic National Convention is about to begin—and I'm sure I'll hear at least one inspiring thought there.

It would be inspiring for me to hear that a billion dollars will be poured into schools simply for the purpose of "increasing the joy of learning." Is that going to happen? (I doubt it)

It would be inspiring for me to hear that X million additional acres of land will be set aside for national parks next year. Will that happen? (probably not)

It would be inspiring for me to hear that our federal government will give tax breaks to corporations that  change their regular work week to 4 days x 8 hours/day; I truly believe that the biggest impediment to quality of life for many people is the lack of adequate time to relax. (dream on)

So: what WOULD be a realistic inspirational campaign promise?

Have you heard any?




1 comment:

  1. I guess there's some sort of comment-posting glitch here . . . Thank you, JoAnn Early Macken, for writing me to let me know about it and also sharing this truly inspiring news!

    JoAnn Early Macken:

    I tried to post this on your blog but couldn't, in response to your Sept. 4 post: "It would be inspiring for me to hear that X million additional acres of land will be set aside for national parks next year. Will that happen? (probably not)"

    Here's some hopeful news about a new national wildlife refuge--The Hackmatack National Wildlife Refuge, up to 11,200 acres in Illinois and southern Wisconsin--recently authorized by the federal government: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120817/news/708179665/
    It's close to Milwaukee & Chicago & also in the path of migrating whooping cranes. Still to be funded, but it's a start!

    Also, from http://www.operationmigration.org/Field_Journal.html, "The National Audubon Society’s Rowe Sanctuary was the beneficiary of a $200,000 grant from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for land acquisition in Buffalo County. The Sanctuary, a 1,150 acre refuge in Nebraska's Platte River Valley, serves as a staging area for thousands of Sandhill cranes and a migration stop for migrating Whooping cranes in the Wood Buffalo-Aransas Population."

    (I'm researching whooping cranes.)

    I'm enjoying your politically inspired posts & poems. Hope you enjoyed last night's speeches!

    Best wishes,
    JoAnn

    Thanks again, JoAnn--so wonderful to hear good news--and we'll look forward to reading what you write about whooping cranes!

    ReplyDelete